www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary TowerPrint Page Print this page

Centenary Tower : 02-December-2012
Centenary Tower : 02-December-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Estate of Connie Marson

The Centenary Tower commemorates the naming and the European discovery of Mount Gambier by Lieutenant James Grant in December 1800. The foundation stone of the tower was laid in the centenary year 1900 and the tower was officially opened on the 27th April 1904. Additional plaques have been added to the tower to commemorate the 150th anniversary in 1950, the bicentenary and refurbishment in 2000 and the centenary of the official opening in 2004. 

Grant undertook the first eastwards passage along the southern coast of Australia in the HMS Lady Nelson. Although he did not chart South Australia’s coastline, he sighted and named Gambier’s Mountain (Mount Gambier) from the deck of his ship.

The Mayor (Dr. C. C. McDonald) has received a telegram from Sir Samuel Way, consenting to perform the opening ceremony of the Centenary Tower on the top of Mount Gambier on April 27. His Excellency the Governor was invited to declare the tower open but the date would not fit in with his previous engagements. At a meeting of the committee this evening some details in connection with the opening ceremony were decided upon, and it was resolved to hold a social in the Institute Hall in the evening. The telescope has arrived, but it is not yet in possession of the committee. The Mayor has procured a visitors' book for the tower, and a flagstaff is to be erected.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 23 April 1904.

 

Location

Address:Elliott Drive, Mount Gambier, 5290
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.840319
Long: 140.756128
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event STart Date:03-December-1800
Actual Event End Date:03-December-1800
Monument Designer:Carl Siegmund

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 3rd December, 1900
Front Inscription

IN COMMEMORATION
Of The Discovery And Naming Of
MOUNT GAMBIER
On December 3rd 1800
By Lieutenant Grant. R.N.
Commanding H.M.S. Lady Nelson.

Foundation Stone,
Laid By The Lieut-Governor
The Right Honourable
Sir Samuel James Way, Bart
Chief Justice Of South Australia
On December 3rd 1900.

Left Side Inscription

CENTENARY TOWER
This plaque commemorates the Centenary
of the official opening of Centenary Tower
held on 27th April 1904.

His Worship the Mayor, Mt Steve Perryman, unveiled this plaque on 27th April 2004 to note this historic occasion.

2004 - 50th Anniversary of
Mount Gambier being declared a city

 

Back Inscription

THIS TABLET
Was Unveiled By
His Excellency The Governor of S.A.
Lt. Gen Sir Willoughby Norrie, K.C.M.G., C.B., D.S.O., M.C.
On December 3rd 1950. 
To Mark The 150th Anniversary Of
The Sighting And Naming Of
MOUNT GAMBIER 
By Lieut. Grant, R.N.
From The "Lady Nelson"

Right Side Inscription

              In
Commemoration
Of The Sighting And Naming Of
MOUNT GAMBIER
On December 3rd 1800
By Lt. James Grant R.N.
Commanding H.M.S. Lady Nelson
And The Refurbishment
Of The Tower In Year 2000.

Tablet Unveiled By
His Excellency
Sir Eric Neal AC, CVO
Governor Of South Australia |
On December 3rd 2000
To Mark The Bicentenary

Source: MA, SAM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design