www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charles Sturt ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

22-July-2016
22-July-2016
Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin / Bryan Cole

The plaque commemorates the centenary of Charles Sturt’s exploration into Central Australia and the passing of his party through the district in 1844. 

The plaque was originally located on a cairn unveiled in 1944 on the old Market allotment at the corner of Murray and Cowan Streets. The cairn was demolished in 2002 when 156 Murray was developed as 'Bed Shed' and the plaque itself was affixed to the wall next to 154 Murray Street.

On Saturday week, August 26, at 3 p.m., a ceremony of historical nature will be observed in Gawler, when a cairn and plaque marking the centenary of Sturts exploration into Central Australia will be unveiled by His Worship the Mayor. The cairn is erected in Centenary Place as the most suitable position although it does not mark Sturt's route when he passed through the district in 1844. The party came over the Dead Man's Pass and worked up the hill known as Lyndoch Hill; and the main highway in this direction is known as Sturt's Highway. At 3 p.m. the school children and the Gawler Band will assemble at Centenary Place, and proceedings will open, with the National Anthem. The Mayor will give a short address on the reason for the ceremony and will introduce Mr Hambidge, the State Surveyor General and President of the S.A. Geographical Society who will speak on the work of Sturt and party in opening up the unknown lands in South Australia. His Worship will then unveil the memorial plaque set in the cairn. The ceremony will conclude by votes of thanks voiced by Crs Bray and Goodger: and the singing of the Song of Australia. The public are cordially invited to join in with the celebrations.
Bunyip (Gawler, SA), 18 August 1944.

Location

Address:154 Murray Street, Alcove, Gawler, 5118
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.596455
Long: 138.74894
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event STart Date:13-August-1844
Actual Event End Date:16-August-1844

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 26th August, 1944
Front Inscription

CAPTAIN CHARLES STURT
Central Australian Exploring Expedition, 
Passed Through Gawler 
13 - 16 August 1844.
The Principal Discoveries Were Barrier 
And Grey Ranges, Cooper and Eyre Creeks. 
                                 Erected 1944

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design