www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Captain James Cook ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

11-June-2016
11-June-2016

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A monument commemorates the naming of Point Hicks by Captain James Cook after Zachary Hicks who was the first European to sight the east coast of Australia on Cook`s voyage of 1770.  

Captain Hicks was James Cook`s senior lieutenant. There has been some dispute as to whether Zachary Hicks actually saw Point Hicks or whether he saw Ram Head about 20 kilometres further up the coast.  Although Cook named the promontory Point Hicks it was changed to Cape Everard in 1843 and did not return to Point Hicks until it was renamed in 1970.  

There was some doubt to whether this was Cook`s first landfall in Australia in 1770, because Cook had not taken account of crossing the International Date Line when recording his log. Therefore it was not challenged when the cape was later named Everard. In the lead up to Cooks bi-centenary, research was undertaken and the case was presented successfully to restore the rightful name.

Captain James Cook claimed the whole of the east coast of Australia for Great Britain on 22 August 1770, naming eastern Australia, 'New South Wales.'

Accepting a suggestion by the Royal Australian Historical Society the Commonweath Government has decided (says the Melbourne "Age") to commemorate the epoch-making voyage of Captain Cook along the eastern coast of Australia by placing suitable memorials in prominent landmarks, one at Possession island and the other at Point Hicks. These memorials consist of brass plates with raised bold lettering. On the tablet at Point Hicks will appear the words suitably set out: "Lieutenant James Cook, R.N., of the Endeavour, first sighted Australia near this point which he named Port Hicks, after Lieutenant Zachary Hicks, who first saw the land, April 19 (ship's log date), 1770." The inscription on the tablet for Possesion Island is: " Lieutenant James Cook, R.N., of the Endeavour, landed on this Island, which he named Possession Island, and in the name of His Majesty King George 111 took possession of the whole eastern coast of Australia from the latitude of 38 degrees south to this place, August 22, 1770." The Queensland Government has consented to undertake the work of affixing the tablet at Possession Island, while that at Point Hicks will be placed in position by the Director of Lighthouses. These two memorials are the last of a series placed at different points along the eastern coast ofthe continent to perpetuate the memory of the great navigator. 
North West Champion (Moree, NSW), 27 November 1924.

Location

Address:Point Hicks Road, Lighthouse Track, Point Hicks Lighthouse, Tamboon, 3880
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.802898
Long: 149.275461
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event STart Date:19-April-1770
Actual Event End Date:20-April-1770

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1924
Front Inscription

Lieutenant James Cook R.N.
    Of The Endeavour
First Sighted Australia Near This Point
      Which He Named
          Point Hicks
After Lieutenant Zachary Hicks
Who First Saw The Land.

April 19th (Ship`s Log Date)
April 20th (Calendar Date)
            1770.

Source: MA,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design