www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Ludwig Leichhardt ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

12-May-2015
12-May-2015

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland / Sandra O'Keeffe

A monument commemorates where Ludwig Leichhardt crossed the Roper River on his exploration from Brisbane to Port Essington in October 1845.

Friedrich Wilhelm Ludwig Leichhardt, a Prussian scientist, is remembered for his long journey in 1844-1845 from the Darling Downs to Port Essington, an early settlement in the far north of the Northern Territory. He proceeded up the Burdekin Valley, crossed the Dividing Range, and discovered the Lynd and Mitchell Rivers. After following the Mitchell, Leichhardt skirted the shores of the Gulf of Carpentaria.

The exhausted party lost much valuable equipment at the Roper River and finally arrived at Port Essington, in December, 1845. He made the return journey by sea.

Location

Address:Roper Highway, Roper Bar, 0852
State:NT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -14.712571
Long: 134.509719
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Actual Event STart Date:24-October-1845
Actual Event End Date:24-October-1845

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 24th October, 1945
Front Inscription

On his epic journey from Brisbane to Port Essington Friedrich Wilhelm Ludwig Leichhardt crossed the Roper River at the bar on 24 October 1845.  An exchange of goodwill with the aborigianl tribal owners occurred prior top the crossing.  Among Leichhardt`s party were two Aboriginal guides from NSW Charles Fisher and Harry Brown.

This plaque was unveiled in 1996 in place of the missing original which was unveiled on the cairn constructed by the NT Military Force

Wording ftom the original plaque which has gone missing : 

Friedrich Wilhelm Ludwig Leichhardt 1813 - 1848 ?

Naturalist and explorer on his epoch making exploration Brisbane to Port Essington crossed the Roper River at this bar 24th October 1845.

The river was discovered by John Roper on the 17th and named on the 19th

Unveiled on the 24th October 1945

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design