www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Major Thomas Mitchell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

14-August-2017
14-August-2017

Photographs supplied by John Huth
A shelter shed commemorates the sesqui-centenary of the fourth expedition of Major Thomas Mitchell.   It is at the campsite where Sir Thomas Mitchell camped in 1846 on his expedition to map an overland route from Sydney to Port Essington (Darwin).

To reach the campsite turn left 35 kilometres north of Mitchell along the Forest Vale Road. The shed is approximately 2.5 kilometres off the Forest Vale Road. 

In 1846 Major Sir Thomas Mitchell was the first European to see the Maranoa River. On his fourth major expedition of exploration he established a major camp site, the second depot of that expedition, on the Maranoa River. The site, now known as Mitchell Water Reserve, is some 40 kilometres north of Mitchell. Major Mitchell arrived there with an advance party on 18 May 1846, and the main party under Edmund Kennedy arrived on 1 June 1846.

Mitchell left Kennedy in charge of the camp and departed northwards on 4 July 1846. He reached the Belyando River, then turned south-west and named the Victoria River in the mistaken idea that it ran to the north. Later Kennedy found the Victoria River was the Barcoo River. Mitchell arrived back at this camp on October 14 and on October 17 all departed to the south.

Location

Address:Mitchell - Forestvale Road, 37.5 kilometres north-west of Mitchell, Mitchell, 4465
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.21234
Long: 147.91671
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Approx. Event Start Date:1846
Approx. Event End Date:1846

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th May, 1996
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Moondi Shelter Shed was officially opened by Mrs Irene Ryder President of Nalingu Aboriginal Corporation on Saturday 18 May 1996 to commemorate the sesquicentennary of this fourth expedition of Sir Thomas Mitchell in 1846.

The shelter shed was built by the Rotary Club of Mitchell and was a joint initiative of Rotary  Booringa Shire Council and Booringa Action Group

Plaque :

Major Mitchell
150 years celebration
1846  1946

This time capsule was laid on Saturday 18 May 1996 as part of the 150 years celebrations to commemorate the Fourth Expedition of Sir Thomas Livingstone Mitchell.

It contains heritage and history of life in Mitchell in 1996, and is scheduled to be opened during the Major Mitchell Bicentenary Celebration of the Booringa Shire in 2046.

Initiative of the Major Mitchell 150 Years Committee celebrating the journey of discovery

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Exploration
Exploration
Settlement
Settlement
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design