Bruni D`Entrecasteaux & NicholsPrint Page
Plaques commemorates the naming of the town by D`Entrecasteaux and the pioneering of the district by Nichols and the establishment of the town on the 150th anniversary of the district. A time capsule is underneath the stone and is to be opened in 2034.
|Address:||Mary Street, Cygnet, 7112|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -43.162572|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 11th November, 1984|
(plaque 1 )
Rear Admiral Bruny D' Entrecasteaux
who named Cygnet 'Port de Cygnes 1792,
and William Nichols, pioneer of Cygnet , 1834
who gave his name to the Nichols Rivulet.
Presented by the Huon Hotel
(plaque 2 )
This plaque was Unveiled by
The Warden, Mr. M.J. Thomas,
on the 11th November 1984 .
To Commemorate the Naming of Cygnet
"Porte de Cygnes" ,
by Rear Admiral Bruny D'Entrecasteaux , 1793.
The Pioneering of the district by William Nichols, 1834.
The Establishment of the Town, 1838.
First called Port Cygnet , then Lovett.
Proclaimed as Cygnet , 1915.
Presented by the ANZ Banking Group Ltd.,
To Mark the 150th Anniversary of the district.
Underneath this stone is a time capsule
to be opened in the year 2034.