www.monumentaustralia.org.au

"Batavia" MutineersPrint Page Print this page

Batavia  Mutineers Monument
Batavia Mutineers Monument

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Cairn marks the spot where two mutineers were set ashore from the "Batavia". They are believed to be Australia`s first permanent landing by Europeans.

In June 1629 Fransisco Pelsaert wrecked the Batavia on the De Houtman Abrolhos Islands and the mutiny of the Batavia followed. After sailing north for help, Pelsaert returned in the ship Sardam and rescued the survivors of the Batavia mutiny. In November Wouter Loos and Jan Pelgrom De Bye, two of the mutineers were taken in a small boat to the mouth of the Hutt River on the mainland and were left with equipment to fend for themselves as punishment for their role in the mutiny. They were never heard of again.

Location

Address:Port Gregory-Kalbarri Road, Wittecarra Creek, 4.2 kilometres from Kalbarri, Kalbarri, 6536
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.741389
Long: 114.147778
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Approx. Event Start Date:1629
Approx. Event End Date:1629

Dedication

Front Inscription

It Is Believed The First Permanent
      Landing Of White Man
In Australia Was Recorded Here
At The Mouth Of Wittecarra Creek.
They Were WOUTER LOOS And JAN PELGROM  
Castaway By Commander FRANCISCO PELSAERT 
     After The Wreck Of The
Dutch East Indian Trading Vessel
            "BATAVIA"
Which Ran Aground On The Northern Group
    Of The Abrolhos Islands
      In The Year 1629 A.D.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design