Charles GrimesPrint Page
Commemorates the discovery of the Yarra and Marybyrnong Rivers near this site by Charles Grimes, and to the first ships inn Port Phillip Bay.
Charles Grimes was the acting chief surveyor of New South Wales in 1803 when he was put in charge of an expedition to survey Port Phillip Bay, He set sail from Sydney on 29 November 1802 in the Cumberland (a schooner of 29 tons built in Sydney) with Lieutenant Charles Robbins, James Flemming (botanist) and a supporting party.
In February 1803 the Grimes party explored the lower reaches of the "saltwater and freshwater rivers" (the Maribyrnong and Yarra) around the present day location of Melbourne.
|Address:||Sims Street, Shepherd Bridge, West Melbourne, 3003|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.806568|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||02-February-1803|
|Actual Event End Date:||02-February-1803|
This monument has been erected to mark the original junction of the Yarra and the Maribyrnong Rivers which was near this spot.
These rivers were originally discovered by Charles Edward Grimes in February 1803 and refound by John Batman in June 1835
Port Phillip was discovered by John Murray in the Lady Nelson in February 1802.
The first vessel in Hobson`s Bay was the "Cumberland" with Grimes the surveyor.
The first man o`war was the "Calcutta" at the end of the same year 1803.
The first vessel to ascend the Yarra was John P. Fawkner`s Enterprise