www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Major Thomas Mitchell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

Thomas Mitchell
Thomas Mitchell

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

A monument erected by the Shire of Korong commemorates Major Mitchell's expedition which passed through the area in 1836. 

At the unveiling of the Bulla memorial for Hume and Hovell, Charles Daley the Secretary of the Victorian Historical Society suggested that the idea be extended to other explorers and a committee was formed to mark out the routes of Charles Sturt, Thomas Mitchell, Angus McMillan, and Count Paul de Strzelecki.

36 cairns or tablets to Mitchell were erected.

The goal of Mitchell's third expedition was to explore and survey the lower part of the Darling River, with instructions to head up the Murray River and return to Sydney via the settled areas around Yass. Second in command was assistant surveyor Granville Stapylton, and 23 convicts made up the rest of the party. He set out on 17 March 1836, and when passing Bathurst engaged a Wiradjuri aboriginal guide, John Piper. Mitchell made his way to Boree and the Bogan River as on previous journeys, then veered south to the Lachlan River to approach the Darling from its southern end where it joined the Murray.  At the end of June the country had improved considerably, so Mitchell chose to leave the Murray to investigate better looking lands to the south-west. Upon climbing the 300 foot Pyramid Hill, he was so impressed with the country he saw, he named it Australia Felix. In early July the party crossed the Loddon River, and made their way in a south-westerly direction which brought them to the Grampians, and later to the mouth of the Glenelg River on the coast. 

Location

Address:Calder Highway, 5km South of Wedderburn, Wedderburn, 3518
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.434582
Long: 143.639024
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event STart Date:07-July-1836
Actual Event End Date:07-July-1836

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1930
Front Inscription

Major T. Mitchell
       Explorer
Passed Here 7th July 1836.
Erected By Shire of Korong
          1930

Source: MA,MED,VMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Exploration
Exploration
Settlement
Settlement
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design