Explorers MemorialPrint Page
Commemorates Burke and Wills, Major Mitchell and Murray paddle steamers. After the departure of the Burke and Wills Expedition, a committee of townspeople was formed to commemorate the event. The names of the people appointed were Captain Pasco, Superintendent Forster and Dr Gummow.
Superintendent Foster recommended Charles Grey to Burke when they lunched at the Lower Murray Inn at Swan Hill. Upon the explorers’ death, a Foster formed a committee to raise money for a memorial. Foster absconded with the proceeds and a small monument was erected which later fell down.
The obelisk was to be of brick stuccoed with cement. Mr Foster as treasurer of the project, and apparently without the full authority of the committee, instructed Mr Maddern to erect the obelisk with the materials available. The bricks, locally made were of inferior quality, but the work proceeded until a height of seven feet was reached when it had to cease for want of materials.
In the meantime Mr Foster had been suspended from duty and shortly afterwards resigned from the service. Inspector H M Chomley relieved Foster at Swan Hill, when Foster departed for Melbourne he took the subscription money with him and Maddern the builder returned to Adelaide in 1862 without getting on penny from the Memorial Committee.
Later, a memorial was built upon the same site and unveiled on 27 October 1914 by Lord Forrest .
|Address:||McCallum Street, Swan Hill, 3585|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.338889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 27th October, 1914|
THE FIRST STEAMERS ON THE MURRAY THE "LADY AUGUSTA" (CAPTAIN FRANCIS CADELL) AND THE "MARY ANN" (CAPTAIN WM R RANDELL) ARRIVED HERE FROM SOUTH AUSTRALIA, 17 TH SEPT 1853.
AN EXPEDITION UNDER MAJOR MITCHELL CAMPED HERE, 20 TH JUNE 1836 AND HE NAMED THE PLACE SWAN HILL
ON THIS SPOT, THE RESIDENTS OF SWAN HILL BADE FAREWELL TO THE BURKE AND WILLS EXPLORING EXPEDITION 12 TH SEPT 1860
Erected by public subscription 12th Sept. 1914. Unveiled by Right Hon Sir John Forrest K.C.M.G. P.C. 27th Oct 1914. Neil Brown. President