Hume & HovellPrint Page
At the centenary of Hume and Hovell exploration in 1924 a committee was formed to co-ordinate and organise local celebrations along the route from Albury to Corio Bay. An itinerary was created for the unveiling ceremonies giving the hour and date for each place concerned from 15 to 21 November 1924.
Thirty-three monuments or cairns were erected at Violet Town, Euroa, Avenel, Seymour, Broadford, Kilmore, Mount Bland, Bulla, Moyhu, Hansonville, Benalla, Samaria, Swanpool, Yarck, Yea, The Horn (Buffalo), Myrtleford, Whoronly, Everton, Murmungee, Stanley, Back Creek, Allan`s Flat, Staghorn Flat, Ebden, Bethanga, Hume Reservoir, Strath Creek, Deer Park, Werribee, Lara, Bulla, Everton.
The inscription on the plaque contains the last three lines of Tennyson's Ulysses.
|Address:||Myrtleford - Stanley Road, 3 kilometres south of Stanley, Stanley, 3747|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.431615|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||24-November-1824|
|Actual Event End Date:||24-November-1824|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||November-1924|
Hume & Hovell passed here
24th November 1824
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made wear by time and fate|
But strong in will
To strive to seek to find and not to yield
Erected Nov 1924