Naming of Port PhillipPrint Page
Cairn commemorates the naming of Port King (Port Phillip) by Lieutenant John Murray and the hoisting the new Union Jack flag in Australia for the first time. European visitation of the bay dates back to 1802 when Lieutenant Murray spent over three weeks exploring its features.
|Address:||Point King Road, Point King, Portsea, 3944|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.324761|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||09-March-1802|
|Actual Event End Date:||09-March-1802|
On this spot on 9th March 1802, Acting Lieutenant John Murray commanding H.M.S. Lady Nelson took possession of Port King later named Port Phillip, in the name of his sacred Majesty Geroge II of Great Britain and Ireland, and hoisted the Union Jack.
This was the first time the Union Jack was used for this purpose in Australia
The people of the Kulin lived in the Port Phillip area for thousands of years
Acting Lieutenant John Murray from HMS Lady Nelson raised the Union flag here on 8 March 1802.
This plaque was unveiled on 8 March 2002 by the Lieutenant Governor of Victoria, Lady Southey, A.M. to commemorate the bicentenary of the event