Captain James CookPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A monument commemorates the naming of Point Hicks by Captain James Cook after Zachary Hicks who was the first European to sight the east coast of Australia on Cook`s voyage of 1770.  Captain Hicks was James Cook`s senior lieutenant. There has been some dispute as to whether Zachary Hicks actually saw Point Hicks or whether he saw Ram Head about 20 kilometres further up the coast.  Although Cook named the promontory Point Hicks it was changed to Cape Everard in 1843 and did not return to Point Hicks until it was renamed in 1970.  

There was some doubt to whether this was Cook`s first landfall in Australia, in 1770, because Cook had not taken account of crossing the International Date Line when recording his log. Therefore it was not challenged when the cape was later named Everard. In the lead up to Cooks bi-centenary, research was undertaken and the case was presented successfully to restore the rightful name.


Address:Cape Everard - Tamboon Roads, Lighthouse Track, Point Hicks Lighthouse, Point Hicks, 3890
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.802898
Long: 149.275461
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:19-April-1770
Actual Event End Date:20-April-1770


Front Inscription

Lieutenant James Cook R.N. of the Endeavour first sighted Australia near this point which he named Point Hicks after Lieutenant Zachary Hicks who first saw the land.

April 19th (Ship`s Log date)

April 20th (Calendar date)


Source: MA,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design