Thomas MitchellPrint Page
At the unveiling of the Bulla memorial for Hume and Hovell, Charles Daley the Secretary of the Victorian Historical Society suggested that the idea be extended to other explorers and a committee was formed to mark out the routes of Charles Sturt, Thomas Mitchell, Angus McMillan, and Count Paul de Strzelecki.
36 cairns or tablets to Mitchell were erected.
|Address:||Flour Bag Island, Glenelg River, Nelson, 3292|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.048056|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||31-July-1836|
|Actual Event End Date:||31-July-1836|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1936|
Erected to the memory of Sir Thomas Mitchell who found and named the Glenelg River July 31st and Sandford and Nelson in August 1836