Thomas MitchellPrint Page
At the unveiling of the Bulla memorial for Hume and Hovell, Charles Daley the Secretary of the Victorian Historical Society suggested that the idea be extended to to other exploreres and a committee was formed to mark out the routes of Charles Sturt, Thomas Mitchell, Angus McMillan, and Count Paul de Strzelecki.
The monument is a stone pedestal with direction finder on the summit commemorating the climbing and naming of the mountain in July 1836.
Thirty-six cairns or tablets to Mitchell were erected at Nyah West, Swan Hill, Cohuna, Mount Pyramid, Fernihurst, Wedderburn, Kanya, Stawell, Mount William, Horsham, Mtount Arapiles, Miga Lake, Harrow, Coleraine, Casterton, Dartmoor, Isle of Bags, Portland, Mount Rouse, Mount Napier, Hamilton, Lake Repose, Dunkeld, Middle Creek, Mount Greenock, Skipton, Mitchellstown, Nagambie, Castlemaine, Expedition Pass, Kyneton, Benalla, Wangaratta, Chiltern, Gooramadda and a public park at Natimuk (Major Mitchell Park, Mtount Arapiles, Natimuk).
|Address:||via Hall`s Gap, Mount William|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.294722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1936|
Major Mitchell climbed this mountain and named it Mount William
The Hon. W. Mibus, Minister of Water Supply and Minerals, unveiled this cairn to commemorate the opening of the Mount William Road. Built by C.R.B."