Thomas MitchellPrint Page
Mount Greenock was climbed and named by Major Thomas Mitchell in September 1836. He chose the name from a burgh on the Forth of Clyde. The vantage point resulted in much useful survey work by Mitchell and led him to refer to the bare surrounding volcanic cones as the “Mammeloid Hills”.
Thirty-six cairns or tablets to Mitchell were erected at Nyah West, Swan Hill, Cohuna, Mount Pyramid, Fernihurst, Wedderburn, Kanya, Stawell, Mount William, Horsham, Mount Arapiles, Miga Lake, Harrow, Coleraine, Casterton, Dartmoor, Isle of Bags, Portland, Mount Rouse, Mount Napier, Hamilton, Lake Repose, Dunkeld, Middle Creek, Mount Greenock, Skipton, Mitchellstown, Nagambie, Castlemaine, Expedition Pass, Kyneton, Benalla, Wangaratta, Chiltern, Gooramadda and a public park at Natimuk (Major Mitchell Park, Mount Arapiles, Natimuk).
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.201944|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||26-September-1836|
|Actual Event End Date:||26-September-1836|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1936|