Bass & Flinders MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates George Bass for his discovery of Western Port, and Bass and Matthew Flinders for their successful voyage in the sloop Norfolk in 1798 through the strait and around Tasmania.
Unveiled by Governor Sir John Fuller, with Captain Chambers, RN, Mr. F. Tate (Director of Education), and Mr M. M. Phillips (President of the Australian Natives Association).
Doctor James Barrett expressed hope that the memorial would be ultimately replaced by an artistic monument more worthy of those gallant spirits whom they were honouring
|Address:||Cook Street, Flinders, 3929|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.474719|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1798|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1798|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1911|
In Commemoration of the discovery and naming of Western Port by Surgeon George Bass January 4, 1798. And the passage of Bass Strait, the same year by him and Lieut. Matthew Flinders (both of HMS Reliance)
Erected by the people of Flinders assisted by the National Parks Association 1912