John OxleyPrint Page
Anchor provided by the British Admiralty commemorates the site where Oxley passed on his journey to inland Australia.
The Wellington Valley was discovered by John Oxley, surveyor and explorer in 1816 after passing through very disappointing country. He was very pleased eventually, to come upon Wellington Valley and on crossing the stream, Oxley proceeded along its bank until his path was stopped by "a very fine river", the long sought Macquarie, which at this point equalled in size the Hawkesbury at Windsor and was much larger than the river at Bathurst.
Three anchors presented by the British Admiralty and brought to Australia on H.M.A.S. Canberra to serve as memorials to Surveyor General John Oxley, R.N., are being forwarded to their destinations.
One anchor, from the destroyer Tenacious, is to be sent to Wellington where Oxley heard of the victory at Waterloo. A second anchor, from the minesweeper Ford, will go to Harrington, to mark the spot where Oxley crossed the Manning River. The third, anchor is from the destroyer Tomahawk, and will go to Kirkham, near Camden, where the explorer died.
The Sydney Morning Herald, 7th March 1929.
|Address:||Gipps Street, Teamster`s Park, Wellington, 2820|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.54|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||19-August-1817|
|Actual Event End Date:||19-August-1817|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1938|