www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Howe MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Howe Memorial plaque missing
Howe Memorial plaque missing

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Russell Byers

A monument commemorates the sesqui centenary of the arrival of John Howe`s exploration party in the vicinity on the 15th March, 1820.

Expeditions led by William Parr in 1817, Benjamin Singleton in 1818 and John Howe in 1819 ventured north from Windsor to the land west of Singleton. The latter party was searching for new grazing land. Guided by an Aboriginal known as Myles they followed what is now known as Doyle`s Creek to its junction with a river which they briefly followed eastwards.

Howe returned in 1820 to explore this river and, again guided by Myles, they continued east along the river to a site just east of present-day Singleton. It being nearly St Patrick`s Day Howe named the area St Patrick`s Plains and it subsequently became known as Patrick`s Plains. Only when they reached Wallis Plains (Maitland) did they realise the river they had been following was the Hunter.

Location

Address:New England Highway & Range Road, Howe Memorial Reserve, Whittingham, 2330
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.604722
Long: 151.200833
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Actual Event STart Date:15-March-1820
Actual Event End Date:15-March-1970

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 17th March, 1970
Front Inscription

Patrick Plains Shire Council

This Cairn Was Erected To Commemorate The Arrival
In This Vicinity, On The 15th. March 1820,
Of An Exploring Party From Windsor Who
Subsequently Name The Area Saint Patrick`s Plains.
             Members of the Party 
                    John Howe
                      (Leader)
George Loder, Junr.    Samuel Marshall
Benjamin Singleton     Frederick Rhodes
Daniel Phillips             James House
Jeremiah Butler          Robert Bridle
Nicholas Conoly         Andrew Loder
Charles Berry             Thomas Dargan, Junr.
                  Philip Thorley
             Myles and Mullaboy
                            (Natives)
Unveiled By His Excellency The Governor General, 
The Right Honourable Sir Paul Hasluck, G.C.M.G., K.St.J.
            17th. March, 1970
In Commemoration Of The Sesqui Centenary

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design