Blaxland, Lawson & WentworthPrint Page
The Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth memorial commemorates the crossing of the Blue Mountains by the explorers in 1813. The monument consisted of the busts of the three explorers placed on top of a solid, slightly curved base.
The privately sponsored monument to the three explorers of 1813 was completed in 1969 by W. F. Gilroy and R. Gilroy, who at that time operated a kiosk and local museum from a small building in the reserve. The monument was originally
designed by Mrs Doris Gilroy, who was a descendant of William Cox and the pioneer Collits family. It took three years to complete.
The monument was strategically positioned at the start of Cox's Road down the mountain pass. A large rectangular base was topped by three portrait busts of the explorers which were sculpted by Josef Nesteriuk. More than 1,000 visitors attended the official unveiling of the monument on 14 December, 1969. The unveiling was performed by Alderman H. G. Coates, MLA.
In recent years the memorial has fallen victim to vandals who knocked one of the heads off and left it in the bush some distance away. The Council has removed the other two for safekeeping.
|Address:||Mount York Road, Cox`s Road, Mount York, 2786|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.552927|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Josef Nesturiak (sculptor) Mrs Doris Gilroy (designer)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||W. F. & R. Gilroy (builders)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 14th December, 1969|