175th Anniversary of the Discovery of the HastingsPrint Page
Plaque commmemorates the 175th anniversary of the discovery of the Hastings by Lieutenant John Oxley in 1818.
|Address:||Horton Street, Town Green, Port Macquarie, 2444|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.428235|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||08-October-1818|
|Actual Event End Date:||11-October-1818|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 9th October, 1993|
Don Grant 1993 John Oxley 1818
This plaque was unveiled on
October 9, 1993 by
N.S.W. Surveyor General, Mr. Don Grant
To celebrate the 175th Anniversary of the discovery of the Hastings by
Lieutenant John Oxley, Surveyor General of the Colony of New South Wales.
On October 8, 1818, Lieutenant John Oxley discovered the harbour
and on October 11 named it PORT MACQUARIE in honour of His
Excellency, Governor Lachlan Macquarie.
Councillor Ray Cooper Mayor
John Magann General Manager