Centenary of Patterson RiverPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the Patterson River which was first built as a large drain for Carrum Swamp.
The suburb of Patterson Lakes was to be located in Carrum on what was originally part of the Carrum Carrum Swamp . The Carrum Carrum Swamp was drained in 1879 when the Patterson Cut (formed in 1876), and other drainage measures were undertaken to prevent flooding of the Eumemmering Creek, which overflowed into the Carrum Carrum Swamp.
|Address:||Nepean Highway, Beauty Spot, Patterson River Park, Carrum, 3197|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.073564|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1879|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1979|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 18th March, 1979|
This plaque was unveiled by His Excellency the Honourable Sir Henry Winneke K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., O.B.E., K. St. J., Q.C. Governor of Victoria on 18th March, 1979
To commemorate the centenary of the Patterson River
1879 - 1979