www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Government in New South WalesPrint Page Print this page

27-November-2015 (John Huth)
27-November-2015 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Tom Bird / John Huth

Trees were planted in Tingcombe Street in 1956 to commemorate the centenary of government in New South Wales.  A plaque is located in Central Park commemorating this event.

In 1853 a select committee chaired by William Charles Wentworth began drafting a constitution for responsible self-government for New South Wales. The Committee’s proposed Constitution Act was placed before the Legislative Council in August that year and, on the whole, accepted. Not accepted were proposals for a Lower House electoral distribution which would heavily favour the country and squatting interests, and an Upper House of Hereditary Peers, like the English House of Lords.

The latter idea was particularly derided by the orator Daniel Henry Deniehy as a proposal for a "bunyip aristocracy". The revised Constitution Act, with an Upper House whose Members were appointed for life, was sent to the British Parliament and, with some further amendments, was passed into law on 16 July 1855.

Location

Address:Tingcombe Street, Armidale, 2320
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.515556
Long: 151.666111
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Trees
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1856
Approx. Event End Date:1956

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1956
Front Inscription

Plaque :

THE AVENUE OF TREES
In Tincombe Street Adjacent
Was Planted In 1956
Through The Generosity Of The Public
To Mark The Centenary Of Responsible
Government In New South Wales
This Plaque Was Unveiled On
16th November 1963
By His Excellency The Governor Of
New South Wales
Lieutenant General Sir Eric Woodward
K.C.M.G.. K.C.V.O.. C.B.. C.B.E.. D.S.O..

Source: MA,H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design