www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Education in the Johnstone ShirePrint Page Print this page

Innisfail First School Site
Innisfail First School Site

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / John Huth
A plaque erected at the site of the first school in Innisfail commemorates 100 years of education in the Johnstone Shire.  The town was originally called Geraldton and its name was changed to Innisfail in 1910.

Location

Address:Bruce Highway & Ernest Street, ANZAC Memorial Park, Innisfail, 4860
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -17.523889
Long: 146.027778
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 4th July, 1987
Front Inscription

Plaque:
GERALDTON STATE SCHOOL
ON THIS SITE STOOD THE ORIGINAL SCHOOL
THE SCHOOL OPENED ON THE 1ST JULY, 1887 
WITH AN ENROLMENT OF 15 BOYS AND 13 GIRLS.
MR THOMAS EDWARD WHITE 
WAS APPOINTED THE FIRST HEADMASTER. 
THE SCHOOL WAS MOVED TO THE EMILY STREET SITE 
ON THE 21ST JANUARY 1908 AND RENAMED  

INNISFAIL STATE SCHOOL 
ON THE 8TH APRIL , 1913.
THE PLAQUE WAS ERECTED BY THE 
INNISFAIL STATE SCHOOL CENTENARY COMMITTEE 
TO COMMEMORATE 100 YEARS OF EDUCATIONAL 
FACILITIES IN THE SHIRE OF JOHNSTONE

R K Ramsay (Chairman)       4th July, 1987
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design