www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Completion of Albury-Wodonga Rail LinkPrint Page Print this page

18-March-2018
18-March-2018

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the Albury-Wodonga Rail Link.  

The Melboune and Essendon Railway Company opened the first section of the Albury line, from North melbourne to Essendon in 1860. Following its takeover by the Victorian Government in 1867, the line was extended by 1872 to School House Lane on the south side of the Goulburn River near Seymour and then to Longwood. Violet Town, Benalla, Wangaratta, Springhurst and Wodonga were reached in 1873, connecting with the New South Wales Government Railways at Albury at break of gauge in 1883. The design engineer was Robert Watson. 

Location

Address:Railway Place, Railway Platform, Albury Railway Station, Albury, 2640
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.083861
Long: 146.924624
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1883
Approx. Event End Date:1983

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 11th June, 1983
Front Inscription
This Plaque Was Unveiled By
THE Honourable Peter Cox, M.P.,
Minister For Transport NSW 
On 11th June 1983
To Commemorate The Centenary Of 
Completion Of The Albury -Wodonga Rail Link
Harold Mair M.P.                 Hon. Steve Crabb, M.P.
Member For Albury NSW   Minister of Transport, Victoria

 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design