www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Hugh LatimerPrint Page Print this page

02-August-2017
02-August-2017

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams
The Hugh Latimer Centre was named in honour of Hugh Latimer for a lifetime of service in Local and State governments. The centre was originally opened in 1951 as a Baby Health and Day Nursery. 

Latimer was elected to the Woollahra council in 1923 and, like his father William, was an alderman for thirty-one years. He was mayor in 1932-35 and 1949-51 and a vice-president of the Local Government Association of New South Wales in 1947-49. He relentlessly opposed the government's plan to merge Woollahra with the Sydney Municipal Council in 1949 and urged the transfer of the Rose Bay flying boat base. He promoted kindergartens, baby health centres, Redleaf Pool and open-air concerts in Cooper's Park. A quiet and private man, he 'lived and breathed Woollahra'. In 1933 he had been elected to the reconstituted Legislative Council and remained a member until his death; he became Opposition whip in 1946.
 
The Mayor of Woollahra, Alderman Hugh Latimer and Mrs. Latimer, and aldermen of the council have invited 350 guests to the official opening of the new baby health centre and day nursery, Double Bay August 18 at 3 pm. The Governor of NSW Lieut-General Sir John Northcott will perform the opening ceremony and members of the Federal and State Parliaments will be among the guests. When fully equipped and furnished, the modern building will have cost £50,000 the major portion of which will be contributed by the Woollahra Council.
The Sun (Sydney), 18 July 1951.

Location

Address:512 New South Head Road, Hugh Latimer Centre, Double Bay, 2028
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.875053
Long: 151.246369
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Link:http://adb.anu.edu.au/

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th August, 1951
Front Inscription

Hugh Latimer Centre

Plaque: 

Municipality of Woolhara 

To commemorate the official opening of Baby Health Centre and Day Nursery by His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales Lieut-General Sir John Northcott K.C.M.G.,C.B.,M.V.O. on 18th August, 1951

Alderman The Hon Hugh Latimer M.L.C. 

Aldermen
[ Names ] 
G.E. Percival, Engineer    J.C.Lough, Town Clerk. 

 



 

Right Side Inscription

Plaque: 

To honour the memory of a life of outstanding service and as an enduring mark of respect and regard

This building has been named the Hugh Latimer Centre

The Hon Hugh Latimer M.L.C.

1896 - 1954

Alderman of Woolhara Council       1926 - 1954
Mayor of Woolhara                         1932 - 1935 and 1949 - 1951
Member of the Legislative Council 1934 -1954.

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design