www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100 Years Rail Transport - Kiama to BomaderryPrint Page Print this page

04-October-2016
04-October-2016

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams
A plaque commemorates 100 years of rail transport from Kiama to Bomaderry. 

The single line railway built from Bombo (North Kiama) to Bomaderry was designed as the ‘Kiama to Jervis Bay Railway’ and terminated at Bomaderry in 1893 with the intention to continue over the proposed railway bridge, but this never eventuated and the bridge over the Shoalhaven River originally built for the railway is still used as a road bridge. Bomaderry Railway Station opened on 2nd June 1893. 

The former Station Master's residence, along with the goods shed, timber trestle bridge over Shoalhaven Creek, and the Edwards Avenue Bomaderry timber overbridge, are among the few remaining structures from the 1893 construction period of the extension of the Illawarra Railway Line from Bombo.  The original Bomaderry Railway Station platform building was destroyed by fire in 1945 and was replaced with the present brick Inter-war Functionalist style Platform building with steel cantilevered platform awning and steel-framed windows in 1945-46. 
 

 

Location

Address:37 Meroo Street , Bomaderry Railway Station entrance, Bomaderry , 2541
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.853747
Long: 150.609654
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Actual Event STart Date:02-June-1893
Actual Event End Date:02-June-1993
Link: http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 30th May, 1993
Front Inscription

THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES 100 YEARS OF RAIL TRANSPORT  BETWEEN KIAMA & BOMADERRY 

2ND JUNE 1893 TO 2ND JUNE 1993

& WAS PRESENTED TO MR.A.BARBER STATION MASTER  BOMADERRY - NOWRA ON 30/5/1993 BY LORD MAYOR MR.M.ATKINS

Source: MA, HNSW
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design