www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of South Girls` & Infants State SchoolPrint Page Print this page

02-December-2016
02-December-2016

Photographs supplied by John Huth
A monument commemorates the centenary of South Girls `and Infants State School from 1865 to 1965.  The school was renamed Toowoomba South State School in 1983 and closed in 2013.

On 30 October 1965 the school celebrated its centenary and a souvenir booklet was published for the event. A fete day was held and included various entertainments, the unveiling of a memorial in the grounds by Minister for Transport, Gordon Chalk, a tree planting ceremony, and an afternoon tea for past students. The Kath Dickson Art Gallery, comprising works presented by the Toowoomba Art Society, was also opened within the brick building by MLA for Toowoomba East, Mervyn Anderson. Kath Dickson taught at the school between 1937-1941 and 1946-1950 before returning as Principal from 1960-1975. During her time at the school she actively encouraged pupil involvement in cultural activities such as art.


 

 

Location

Address:New England Highway & Warrego Highway, South Toowoomba, 4350
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.569107
Long: 151.952857
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1865
Approx. Event End Date:1965

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 30th October, 1965
Front Inscription

This Cairn Was Unveiled By
Hon. G. W. Chalk, M. L. A.
Minister For Transport
On October 30, 1965
To Commemorate The 
Centenary Of The
South Girls` & Infants State School
1865 - 1965

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design