The Prince`s TowerPrint Page
The tower at Christ Church is named The Prince's Tower to commemorate the Prince of Wales visit to Melbourne in 1920.
In 1920 H.R.H. the Prince of Wales granted permission to call the proposed tower of the new church The Prince’s Tower as a memorial of his visit to Melbourne.
In 1920 the Prince of Wales visited Australia on behalf of his father King George V. The visit was to thank the Australian people, officially, for the sacrifices and contributions made during the First World War. The Prince visited many cities and towns across Australia and his popularity was such that he became known as the ‘digger prince’.
|Address:||Mount Alexander Road & Marco Polo Street, Christ Church Anglican, Essendon, 3040|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.746856|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 15th October, 1921|