Statue of Britannia with drinking fountain erected by the Womens Christian Temperance Union to commemorate the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York in 190.
The memorial fountain, with its sandstone pillars and symbolic figure of Britannia, was presented to the City of Melbourne by the Women’s Christian Temperance Union of Australia in an effort to promote abstinence.
|Address:||Elizabeth & Victoria Streets, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.806576|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1901|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1901|
|Monument Designer:||J. Churchman and Sons (Carlton, VIC)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1900|
For God, Home and Humanity.
Presented to the Melbourne City Council by the Women`s Christian Temperance Union of Victoria. In commemoration of the visit of their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York A.D. 1901.
Designed and executed by J. Churchman and Sons, Carlton