www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Golden Jubilee of Queen VictoriaPrint Page Print this page

Queen Victoria
Queen Victoria

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Graeme Saunders
A drinking fountain commemorates the Golden Jubilee of the reign of Queen Victoria in 1887. The fountain was completed in 1888. The fountain was originally located in front of the post office but was removed in 1928 to make way for the war memorial. 

The Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria was celebrated on 20 June 1887 on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of her accession on 20 June 1837. It was celebrated with a banquet to which 50 European kings and princes were invited.

The new public offices at Kew, which have recently been erected by the Government, at a cost of £11,000, will be opened tomorrow for the transaction of public business. The buildings are situated on the triangular shaped piece of land at the intersection of Bulleen and Cotham roads, in the centre of the township. They are of very handsome design, and comprise post and telegraph office, court house aud police quarters. No arrangements have been made for a ceremonious opening. The structure is designed after the Queen Anne style of architecture; all the outer walls are finished in red brick, with black pointing, alternated with columns and other ornamental cement work, designed and colored so as to resemble Portland stone. Terracotta has been freely used about the windows, and also as a decoration in many other places, the ridge of the roof being surmounted with a cresting of the same material. The roof is of blue slate, with grey bands. Directly in front of the buildings there is a small reserve on which a Jubilee fountain, 21 feet in height, is being erected by the Kew council, at a cost of £150. 
Age (Melbourne), 8 May 1888.

Location

Address:Cotham Road , Alexandra Gardens, Kew, 3101
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.80725
Long: 145.032806
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Imperial
Monument Designer:Messrs Reed, Henderson & Smart
Monument Manufacturer:Mr. A. W. Fenton (contractor)

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1888
Front Inscription

This fountain was erected by the Borough Council of Kew in commemoration of the Jubilee Year of the reign of Her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria

21st June 1887

Left Side Inscription
Borough of Kew
Statistics on 21st June 1887.
Population 5900.
Number of Dwellings 921.
Rateable value of property £92557.0.0
Rate on shilling in the £. £4627.17.0
Right Side Inscription

Borough Council of Kew on the 21st June 1887.

Councillors
E.A. Atkyns. Mayor.
J.M. Campbell.
H.Ellis.
H.Gray J.P.
H. De C. Kellett.
G.W. Lilley.
E. Marshall.
F.J. Martin.
J. Wilkinson.
Holland Loxton. Town Clerk and Surveyor

Source: MA,VMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design