Queen VictoriaPrint Page Print this page

Queen Victoria : 28-September-2012
Queen Victoria : 28-September-2012

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

A statue commemorates Queen Victoria.  It was originally erected in Dublin, Ireland on February 15, 1908 and re-erected and recommemorated in Sydney in 1987.  The Queen Victoria Statue originally stood outside Leinster House, Dublin, Ireland (The Seat of The Irish Parliament) until 1947.

The controversial statue of Queen Victoria was created by Irish sculptor, John Hughes, and installed on the Kildare front of Leinster House, which was at the time the headquarters of the Royal Dublin Society. When Leinster House became the official seat of Oireachtas Eireann (the Parliament of the Irish Free State) in 1922,  the statue became the focus of extreme scrutiny and criticism.

On July 22, 1948, the statue was removed from Leinster House to the grounds of the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham.  In 1983 the Sydney City Council was looking for an unwanted statue of Queen Victoria. The statue was located and the Republic of Ireland gave it to the people of Sydney in a gesture of 'goodwill'. She was re-erected in 1987 to mark the 200th anniversary of Sydney.


Address:455 George Street (Cnr Druitt Street), Queen Victoria Building, Sydney, 2000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.872752
Long: 151.206824
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Government
Monument Designer:John Hughes
Monument Manufacturer:Vienne (Paris, France)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 20th December, 1987
Front Inscription

At The Request Of The City Of Sydney
This Statue Of Queen Victoria
Was Presented By The
Government And People Of Ireland
In A Spirit Of Goodwill And Friendship.  

Until 1947, It Stood In Front Of
Leinster House, Dublin,
The Seat Of The Irish Parliament.

Sculptured by John Hughes, RHA,
Dublin 1865 - 1941

Unveiled on 20th December, 1987 by
Sir Eric Neal, Chief Commissioner

L. P. Carter, O.B.E. Town Clerk
Sir Nicholas Shehadie, O.B.E. Deputy Chief Commissioner
Mr. Norman Oakes, A.O., Commissioner

Left Side Inscription

This Statue Of Queen Victoria
Was Located In Ireland,
Acquired And Brought To
Sydney By Neil Glasser -
Director Of Promotions
Queen Victoria Building
    1983 - 1987

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design