First Government HousePrint Page
Plaque commemorates the first Government House and is located near the spot where the first Government House was erected in 1837 by marines from H.M.S. Buffalo. It was destroyed by fire in January 1841.
At a meeting of the Historical Memorials Committee on Monday, it was decided that, subject to minor amendments by a sub-committee, a recommendation asked for by the City Council be as follows: — 'That the memorial tablet to the first Government House be erected on the masonry wall near the main gate at the south-west corner of the present Government House reserve, with the following inscription:— "Near this spot the first Government House of the Province of South Australia was erected in 1837. It was built by marines from the Buffalo, and was constructed of rammed earth (pise) and wood, with thatched roof. It was occupied first by Governor Hindmarsh, and later by Governor Gawler. The building was destroyed by fire in January 1811. The first portion of the present Government House was erected in 1839."
The Register (Adelaide, SA). 24 November 1927.
|Address:||North Terrace, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.921218|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1928|
Near This Spot The First Government House Of The Province Of South Australia Was Erected In 1837. It Was Built Of Earth And Wood With Thatched Roof, By Marines From The "Buffalo". Occupied First By Governor Hindmarsh, And Later By Governor Gawler. It Was Destroyed By Fire In January 1841. The First Portion Of The Present Government House Was Erected In 1839.
Erected By The City Council 1928.