www.monumentaustralia.org.au

"Glen Huntly" MemorialPrint Page Print this page

"Glen Huntly" Memorial : 16-June-2013
"Glen Huntly" Memorial : 16-June-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The memorial at the gravesite commemorates the victims of the Glen Huntly disaster in 1840. The grave was restored by descendants and a plaque was unveiled in 1991 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the arrival by the barque in Melbourne.

On December 13th 1839 the emigrant ship ` Glen Huntly` left Greenock, Scotland and arrived at Hobsons` Bay on 17th April 1840.

The ship was specially built to take advantage of these profitable immigration schemes and was on its maiden voyage. Merchants made fortunes chartering vessels that crammed as many people on board with insufficient food and scant attention to comfort.

An examination by the settlement`s doctor, Barry Cotter, discovered that many of the Glen Huntly immigrants including children were emaciated from their long and arduous voyage. Many of the passengers suffering from fever were landed at the Red Bluff, St Kilda on 24 April 1840. That being the first Quarantine Station in Victoria.

A few days later John Craig, James Mathers, and George Armstrong succumbed to the disease and were interred at the Bluff. Owing to the encroachment of the sea their remains were exhumed and removed to the St Kilda Cemetery on 27th August 1898 by the Board of Public Health. Of the original 157 emigrants who had boarded the barque in Argyleshire, ten had already died at sea.

Location

Address:Dandenong Road (Cnr Hotham Street), St Kilda Cemetery, Other Denominations Compartment B Grave 149B, St Kilda East, 3183
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.862233
Long: 145.001261
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Sub-Theme:Pandemic
Monument Designer:Mr R Adamson, C E

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 16th April, 1899
Front Inscription

On December 13th 1839, the emigrant ship "Glen Huntly" left Greenock, Scotland and arrived in Hobson`s Bay on 17th April 1840.  Many of the passengers suffering from fever were landed at the Red Bluff St Kilda on 24th April 1849.  That being the first quarantine station in Victoria.

A few days later JOHN CRAIG  JAMES MATHERS  GEORGE ARMSTRONG succumbed to the disease and were interred at The Bluff.  Owing to the encroachment of the sea their remains were exhumed and removed to the St Kilda Cemetery on 27th August 1898 by the Board of Public Health.

This memorial was erected by public subscription, to mark a notable event in the early history of the colony.

Plaque :

This memorial grave was restored by descendants of John Craig and of other "Glen Huntly" passengers.  In April 1990 they commemorated the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the barque in Melbourne in 1840.
25th August 1991

Glen Huntly Pioneers Memorial

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design