Heatons MonumentPrint Page
Heaton`s monument, a rendered sandstone monument containing a single burial crypt and one of the oldest structures on the former quarantine station site (circa 1856). It reflects the unusual story of George Heaton, who helped construct elements of the quarantine station. Heaton paid a substantial amount of money for the tomb to be built as his ultimate resting-place, but was never buried in it.
Folklore suggests that Heaton built the monument as a memorial to the victims of the Ticonderoga, a ship which lost 168 of its passengers to typhus and scarlet fever, and the first vessel to be quarantined at Point Nepean. Regardless of the true intention of the monument, it marks the site of the original quarantine station cemetery, where some 100 persons were buried including 70 from the "Ticonderoga".
|Address:||Point Nepean Road, Quarantine Station, Portsea, 3944|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.311786|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1856|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1856|