"Ticonderoga"Print Page Print this page

"Ticonderonga" : 30-September-2011
"Ticonderonga" : 30-September-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Memorial commemorates the pandemic victims aboard the Ticonderoga.

The Ticonderoga was one of four double-decked sailing ships to carry migrants from Britain to Australia in 1852. She left Liverpool on 4 August 1852, carrying 795 passengers (including some 300 children under 14).

By the time she arrived at Port Phillip Heads during the first days of November, one hundred people had died at sea, mostly from scarlatina and typhus, and many hundreds were seriously ill. After some deliberation, the pilots at Shortlands Bluff (Queenscliff) decided that the ship could not be allowed to proceed to Melbourne. Instead, they directed her across the Rip to a deserted beach, now called Ticonderoga Bay, a few kilometres in from Point Nepean.

Two days later, the Port Phillip Health Officer arrived from Melbourne, and the Ticonderoga was officially placed in Quarantine. The Ticonderoga`s quarantine lasted 48 days, and by the time the survivors reached Melbourne, they had left sixty-eight bodies behind in the sand. The cemetery site was hardly satisfactory, but it wasn`t until two years and 32 more burials later that a more suitable cemetery, outside the quarantine boundaries, was established.


Address:Defence Road, Point Nepean Cemetery, Point Nepean National Park, Portsea, 3944
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.308428
Long: 144.678856
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 8th November, 1992
Front Inscription

Erected to the memory of those who lost their lives on the emigrant ship Ticonderoga.

Departed Liverpool 4th August 1852 of the 795 passengers and 19 newborn 100 died at sea.  Quarantined at Portsea 5th November 1852 wheree 66 passengers, 2 crew and 4 newborn died.  Arrived Melbourne 22nd December 1852 with 646 passengers inlcuding those born at sea.

Sponsored by descendants of Ticonderoga emigrants.  8th November 1992

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design