"Trinculo"Print Page Print this page

07-May-2003 : Wreck of the Trinculo
07-May-2003 : Wreck of the Trinculo
Photographs supplied by Ian Bevege

Monument at Golden Beach to the wreck of the Trinculo. The 322-ton iron barque was built in Bristol England in 1858.    It was stranded on African coast in 1871, and refloated and sailed to Melbourne in 1872 where James Patterson bought her.  She sailed in ballast from King George Sound, Western Australia to Newcastle, New Souith Wales load coal with Captain Williams, Mrs Williams, a 6 month baby and crew of nine.

Trinculo met a heavy gale off Wilson’s Promontory and was forced onto a sandbank at Stockyard Hill on Ninety Mile Beach 40 kilometres of Lakes Entrance, near what is now Golden Beach, on 30 May 1879.  A crew member Thomas Lefevre swam ashore with a logline, which allowed the ship’s company to get safely ashore.  Captain Williams swam ashore with his baby on his back but he was dumped in the surf and the child was unconscious when he reached the beach.  Mrs Williams was also unconscious when she reached the shore but she and the child recovered. There was no loss of life due to this wreck. Lefevre was awarded a silver medal for bravery by the Royal Humane Society. 

The monument was built from a water tank salvaged from the wreck by a local.


Address:Golden Beach, Sale, 3851
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.21
Long: 147.40
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design