"The Day The Devil Wept"Print Page
A monument erected by the Mines and Energy Union in front of the brick stack on the 75th anniversary of the Mount Mulligan disaster bears the names of the seventy five victims.
In 1910 coalmining started at Mount Mulligan. A new mining town was built and in 1914 a branch line from Dimbulah was established. The town prospered until 19 September 1921 when an underground explosion killed 75 miners. At the time this accounted for every miner working in the mine. They are all buried in the local cemetery.
It was one of Australia`s worst mining disasters and is still the worst to have occurred in Queensland.
|Address:||Mount Mulligan Road, Old Mine Buildings, Mount Mulligan, 4871|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.85573|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||19-September-1921|
|Actual Event End Date:||19-September-1921|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1996|
This memorial records the names of those killed at Mt Mulligan mine in the explosion of 19th September, 1921, as listed by the Qld. Mines Dept.
It was erected on the occasion of the seventy-fifth anniversary of the tragedy by the Mining and Energy Union
[ Names ]
They were too young to die