Derby FloodPrint Page
A monument commemorates the flood of 1929.
On the 4th April 1929, following record rainfall, the dam which provided the water used by the Briseis Tin Mine collapsed and a wall of water up to a hundred feet high surged towards the town. The volume of water was so huge that it caused the Ringarooma River to reverse the direction of its flow as far as Branxholm about five miles upstream.
The flood devastated Derby. Fourteen people died, scores of buildings were destroyed and operations at the mine were brought to a standstill.
|Address:||Tasman Highway , Tin Dragon Interpretation Centre , Derby, 7264|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.14708|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-April-1929|
|Actual Event End Date:||04-April-1929|
|Monument Designer:||Jeff Gatt|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 8th April, 2006|
This monument is dedicated to the memory of the fourteen Derby residents who lost their lives on the 4th April 1929 when disaster hit the town and Briseis Mine was flooded.
A Derby Community Development Assoc, Inc, Project 2006.