Avro Anson MemorialPrint Page
Memorial commemorates four airmen who died in the crash of Avro Anson aircraft in October 1942. The crew and aircraft were from No 68 Reserve Squadron which, at the time, was based at Geraldton, West Australia. The memorial was restored and rededicated on the 25th November 1984.
A memorial erected by local residents to Flying-Officer L. V. Birt and Sergeants K. Hugo, N. Nixon and G. Debenham, who lost their lives in an aircraft accident on October 9, was unveiled on a farm at Mokine last Sunday. The memorial is in the form of a cairn of rocks surmounted by polished jarrah, engraved and constructed by members of the Australian army. The dedication ceremony was conducted by Senior Chaplain Lieut.-Colonel Elvey. In an address he paid a tribute to the forethought of residents in perpetuating the memory of the four dead airmen. After the ceremony wreaths were laid on the memorial by parents of the deceased, members of the fighting forces, and children of the Clackline State School. A guard of honour was provided by members of the R.A.A.F. and V.D.C.
Kalgoorlie Miner, 19th December 1942.
|Address:||Avro Anson Road, Mokine, 6401|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.751944|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||09-October-1942|
|Actual Event End Date:||09-October-1942|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 13th December, 1942|
This monument was erected by members of the Bakers Hill/Clackline Volunteer Defence Corps and other local citizens and dedicated on 13th December 1942, to mark the site where RAAF Anson Aircraft No W2262 crashed on 9th October 1942, killing all four crew members.
The City of Perth Branch of the Royal Australian Air Force Association carried out restoration of the monument, and it was rededicated on 25th November 1984 by Bishop Denis Bryant, DFC `PER ARDUA AD ASTRA`.