Vultee Vengeance Crash SitePrint Page Print this page

A plaque commemorates the crash of the Vultee Vengeance and its crew.

In 1944 a Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.) Vultee Vengeance dive-bomber went missing on a training flight from Pearce near Perth. The plane had apparently become lost and run out of fuel. A few days later a chance conversation between a commercial pilot and Squadron Leader Haber, the Commanding Officer of No. 7 Communications Unit at Pearce, revealed that the former had sighted what he thought was a tent in the bush east of Narembeen. Next morning a Beaufort bomber identified a parachute, but no sign of life and a large number of soldiers from Northam were sent for a ground search.

The pilot Warrant Officer J Ingram was located at a remote farmhouse some four days after the crash and told his story. On realising that he was nearly out of fuel he had warned the navigator Flight-Sergeant CL King to bale out and went through the necessary roll to allow him to do so. He then climbed for height and baled out himself. There being no sign of King, he headed west and found the farmhouse, after fours days, during which he had only a goanna to eat. A huge effort was mounted to try and locate King and the aircraft. The wreckage was finally found by a Tigermoth on the 2nd of September in extremely thick and inhospitable scrub. There was no trace of King or his parachute, it was believed that he had been hit by the large tailplane of the Vengeance as he bailed out.


Address:Emu Fence Road, near Skeleton Rock, Marvel Loch, 6426
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.993974
Long: 119.356161
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Approx. Event Start Date:1944
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945
Approx. Event End Date:1944


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 27th August, 1988
Front Inscription

This plaque commemorates the crash of  VULTEE VENGEANCE No A27-295 27th August 1944 and its crew


Ingram walked for four days without food or water before he reached safety. A long search for P/O King was carried out but he was never found.

Parts of the aircraft have been used in the restoration of Vultee Vengeance now in the ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE ASSOCIATION AVIATION MUSEUM at Bull Creek .

Erected by the YILGARN SHIRE COUNCIL 27th August 1988.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design