1940 Patriotic Grand PrixPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the Patriotic Grand Prix.
The Patriotic Grand Prix was held on November 11, 1940, to raise money for various wartime charities. It was the only round-the-house race for cars ever held in the Perth metropolitan area. Run anticlockwise over 25 laps of a 2. 5 mile (4.0 km) circuit of roads in Applecross, with Kintail Rd as the main straight, it was, as usual for the period, a handicap race. More than 50,000 spectators cheered winner Harley Hammond over 25 laps and a total race distance of 62.5 miles.
|Address:||Duncraig Road, Applecross, 6153|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.004722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1940|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1940|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 11th November, 2007|