Pioneers of Christ ChurchPrint Page
On 4th October 1936, the ruined Christ Church was reconsecrated as a memorial to Bishop Broughton, Rev. Edward Gifford Pryce, a pioneer of Anglican work in the Monaro, Archdeacon Druitt and pioneers of the Monaro.
In 1845 Revd Gifford and Bishop Broughton decided to build Cooma's (and the district's) first church. The foundation stone of Christ Church was laid on 17 February 1845. Bishop Broughton drew up the plans for the church building and arranged for its construction. Due to labour problems and finance it was not completed until 1850.
Within five years it was realised that Christ Church was not located where the village of Cooma was developing. Morning services continued to be held at Christ Church, however evening services began to be held in the Court house in town.
Druitt held the evening service in the court-house until St Paul's Church was built. It was richly furnished and finally consecrated in 1872. He also built a new parsonage and school hall. His long incumbency was mostly a success and in his last years the work of the church in the Monaro was well organized.
Cooma, Sunday. The Bishop of Goulburn (Dr Burgmann) today reconsecrated the old Christ Church at Cooma Creek, as a memorial to Bishop Broughton, the Rev E G Pryce, and Archdeacon Thomas Druitt and of pioneers of Monaro. Christ Church was built in the forties of last century, through the efforts of Mr Pryce, who was the first resident Anglican clergyman in the Monaro district, and it was consecrated by Bishop Broughton in February, 1850. The old church Is now being restored. A large number of people came out from Cooma to attend the ceremonies The Archbishop of Sydney (Dr.Mowll) preached at a children's service in the old church this afternoon and this evening a thanksgiving service was held at St Pauls Church Cooma.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 5 October 1936.
|Address:||Church Road, Christ Church, Cooma, 2630|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.259542|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 4th October, 1936|