Centenary of St Barnabas ChurchPrint Page Print this page

A stained glass window commemorates the church centenary from 1875 to 1975.

St Barnabas' was originally planned and built to minister to the 'blue collar' workers of Milltown - the area spreading from the mills in Russell Street up to the railway yards, and the residential areas around them.

The parish was formed in 1884, the present church built in 1881 to replace an earlier built weatherboard structure dating from 1875. This older building was relegated to 'parish hall' and eventually replaced with a brick building in 1918. The spire of the church was added in 1901.

Note: The Anglican Church of St Barnabas was severely damaged by fire on February 23, 2014 leaving the building unusable.  The interior was completely destroyed and the roof was so badly damaged it has since been completely removed to allow safe access to the site. Engineers are still examining the condition of the remaining walls to determine whether the building can be restored, or whether it will need compete rebuilding.

A 35 year old man pleaded guilty to lighting the fire which was the result of a break in.


Address:Rocket & Bant Streets, St Barnabas Anglican Church, Bathurst, 2795
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.431111
Long: 149.578889
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1875
Approx. Event End Date:1975


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1975
Source: H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design