Catherine McCauleyPrint Page
A statue commemorates Catherine McAuley who founded the Sisters of Mercy in Ireland in 1831, and 140 years of Mercy Education in Ipswich.
In May 1863, the Sisters of Mercy, led by Mother Vincent Whitty, accepted the invitation of the Catholic Community of Ipswich, and arrived from their Brisbane Convent, having sailed up the Brisbane and Bremer Rivers. Exactly one year later they began teaching 180 children in a wooden building near the site of the present St. Mary's Hall.
|Address:||Mary Street, St Marys College, Woodend, 4305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.608841|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||J H Wagner & Sons|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2004|