Bishops Martin Crane & Stephen Reville Print Page
St Augustine`s Chapel is a memorial to the Augustinian Bishops Martin Crane and Stephen Reville.
Martin Crane OSA, DD (11 October 1818 – 21 October 1901), an Irish-born Australian suffragan bishop, was the first Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Sandhurst, serving between 1874 until his death in office in 1901. He greatly expanded the Diocese of Sandhurst in Victoria, increasing the number of resident priests and building new schools and churches.
In 1885 Stephen Reville O.S.A. was ordained as Coadjutor Bishop to Dr. Crane. For the next sixteen years he would bear a great deal of the responsibility of the Diocese of Sandhurst. Finally, on the 21st of October 1901 he succeeded as Bishop of Sandhurst.
At the age of 72, on the 19th of September 1916, Bishop Reville died from pneumonia, supervening on an attack of pleurisy, while still in office. He was the last Augustian bishop of Victoria. The diocese at this time extended over 22 parishes, 11 of which had convents and schools in them. He was held in high esteem by all sections of the community.
|Address:||66 Short Street, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bendigo, 3550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.760262|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.