www.monumentaustralia.org.au

75th Anniversary of Our Lady Star of the SeaPrint Page Print this page

19-July-2018
19-July-2018

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams

The plaque commemorates the 75th anniversary of the opening of the church and pays tribute to all parishioners.

Location

Address:341 Old South Head Road, Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church, Watsons Bay, 2030
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.845642
Long: 151.283446
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1910
Approx. Event End Date:1985

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 10th June, 1985
Front Inscription
Plaque:

TO THE HONOR AND GLORY OF GOD THIS CHURCH WAS ERECTED UNDER THE TITLE OF
              OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA 
THE ORIGINAL EDIFICE WAS ERECTED IN 1909-10 FOR REV. PETER O`REILLY, P.P. WOOLLAHRA.
THE CONFESSIONALS, CHOIR GALLERY AND PRESENT FACADE WERE ADDED IN 1940 FOR REV. DANIEL HANNAN , P.P. WATSONS BAY. THE STATUE OF OUR LADY WAS ADDED LATER.
THE SANCTUARY, PULPIT, WINDOWS, BELL AND STEEPLE WERE CONSTRUCTED IN 1965-66 FOR REV. PATRICK FORD, P.P. WATSONS BAY. 
TOM BASS SCULPTURED THE COPPER PANELS OF ST. PAUL AND THE EVANGELISTS FOR THE PULPIT. JOHN TAYLOR OF ENGLAND CAST THE BELL. 
ANTOINE BESSAC, GENOBLE, FRANCE PROVIDED THE STAINED GLASS  LEAD LIGHTS IN THE NAVE, AND THE FACETED GLASS OF THE ROSE WINDOWS IN THE SANCTUARY. 
THE MARBLE ALTAR FROM MASSA CARRARA WAS WORKED AND POLISHED IN NEARBY VIAREGGIO, ITALY.
CLEM CLANCY WAS THE ARCHITECT. 

THIS PLAQUE WAS ERECTED FOR 10.6.1985, THE SEVENTY FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE OPENING OF THE CHURCH BY PATRICK FRANCIS CARDINAL MORAN, ON THIS HISTORIC OCCASION, TRIBUTE IS PAID TO THE PARISHIONERS WHOSE VOTIVE OFFERINGS OVER THE LONG YEARS HAVE BUILT THIS CHURCH.
                           TE DEUM  LAUDAMUS



 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design