www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sisters of MercyPrint Page Print this page

27-November-2015
27-November-2015

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A plaque commemorates the Sisters of Mercy who conducted St Patrick`s orphanage from 1919 to 1976.

 

Location

Address:3 The Boulevard, Armidale, 2350
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.535127
Long: 151.653674
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1919
Approx. Event End Date:1976

Dedication

Front Inscription

St Patricks Orphanage

This plaque is dedicated to the Sisters of Mercy, who conducted St Patrick`s Orphanage (later St Patrick`s Home), on this site from 1919 - 1976.

More than 1,750 children lived here for short or long periods when their family life was disrupted.  The Sisters strove to keep brothers and sisters together whenever possible and contact was often maintained after the children left.  

In their work the Sisters were generously helped by the Catholic community, other groups both in and outside Armidale, orphanage staff and volunteers.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design