www.monumentaustralia.org.au

175 Years of Sisters of CharityPrint Page Print this page

12-June-2016
12-June-2016

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

A plaque commemorates 175 years of service by the Sisters of Charity on this site from 1838 to 2013.

The first religious sisters to come to Australia, the Sisters of Charity arrived in New South Wales in 1838, from Dublin.  In addition to their usual vows of chastity, poverty and obedience, the Sisters of Charity also took an extra vow of service to the poor which saw them earn the name of the ‘walking nuns’ due to their work on the streets with people in need.

The Sisters of Charity came to Tasmania in 1847 and worked in places including jails, asylums and the Female Factory.  They also have many other connections with the Tasmanian community including a history with St Joseph’s School in Hobart (and St Joseph’s Orphanage), St Joseph’s Child Care Centre in Taroona, St Francis Xavier’s School in South Hobart, Mount Carmel College in Sandy Bay, St Aloysius Catholic College at Kingston, St Brigid’s School in New Norfolk and St Vincent’s Hospital in Launceston.

 

 

Location

Address:5 Frederick Street, St Vincent's Hospital, Launceston, 7250
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.440607
Long: 147.142351
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1838
Approx. Event End Date:2013

Dedication

Front Inscription

The Trustees of Mary Aikenhead Ministries honour this place as significant in the Sister`s story

Sisters of Charity of Australia

1838 - 2013

175 years impelled by Christ`s love

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design