Penwortham Methodist PioneersPrint Page
Obelisk erected in memory of the pioneers who built the Penwortham Methodist Church at the site in 1857 and those who worshipped there between 1857 and 1968.
Plans for a Wesleyan Chapel to be built on one acre of land donated by Thomas Magarey were drawn up in 1857. Although not in an ideal position being on very stony ground on a steep hill, the Wesleyans counted their blessings and made use of what they had. The Chapel was opened on 19th September 1858. A supper room was added in 1897 and was used for various community meetings. In 1958 a porch was added to mark the centenary of the building. The church was closed in 1968 and demolished in 1979. All that remains is a small cemetery and an obelisk donated by Miss E. P. Penna in 1981.
|Address:||Penwortham Methodist Cemetery, Penwortham, 5453|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.917891|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1981|